Don't see your question answered here? Please contact us and we will get back to you ASAP!
What are the COVID protocols?
We understand that health and safety are priorities, and are working hard to ensure a safe event for everyone. Guidelines have been developed in collaboration with UVic faculty members and are based on current BC COVID guidelines and UVic COVID guidelines. They are currently as follows:
1. Vaccines are encouraged and recommended for all students who are eligible to receive one. However, vaccines for students are not mandatory. Per UVic guidelines, all UVic students and faculty members will be either fully vaccinated or undergoing rapid testing.
2. Masks will be mandatory at all times indoors when not eating or drinking. All strings players, percussionists, and singers must wear masks while playing / singing. Similarly, all winds and brass players must wear musician's masks while playing. These are standard masks with slits cut for mouthpieces. Face shields are not accepted as appropriate substitutes for masks, and masks must fully cover both the mouth and nose.
This rule does not apply to individuals who are exempt from mask-wearing in accordance with the BC COVID guidelines.
3. Bell covers must be used on all wind and brass instruments, with the exception of flutes and bassoons. These coverings can be purchased at your local music store, or made at home from materials such as towels, cloths, or nylon tights (80 denier or more).
4. Brass players and any players who produce excess condensation with their instruments are asked to use spit pads and/or cloths/towels.
5. Students, parents, volunteers, and clinicians are reminded to perform self-assessments daily before coming to Music Discoveries. Those who feel unwell are asked to please stay at home.
6. Students, parents, volunteers, and clinicians are reminded to sanitize their hands upon entering the building, as well as before and after eating or drinking.
7. All audience members attending the final concert will be asked to provide proof of vaccination prior to entry.
COVID protocols are subject to change as UVic and provinicial health guidelines change. All registrants will be informed by email if any modifications are made to the above guidelines. If you have any questions or concerns about the COVID protocols for Music Discoveries, please contact us.
How much does Music Discoveries cost?
The cost can fluctuate each year depending on numerous factors. The fee for Music Discoveries 2022
is as follows:
|Early Registration Fee:||Late Registration Fee:|
Must be siblings
Must be siblings
Please refer to the registration page for up-to-date information about early / late registration dates.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of Music Discoveries covers the following:
- 3 rehearsals on your primary instrument/voice with our master conductors in our large ensembles
- Instrumental and voice workshops led by Music Education Students to further hone your skills
- Choose Your Own Adventure sessions
- A pizza dinner on Saturday night
- A Music Discoveries t-shirt
- Lots of fun and memories!
Where is Music Discoveries?
Music Discoveries is held at the University of Victoria's School of Music. Check-in is by the David Lam Auditorium in the MacLaurin Building A-wing.
What are CYOAs?
Choose Your Own Adventure is an opportunity for students to explore a cool type of music just for fun – hopefully something they’ve never tried before! Led by Music Education students, CYOAs offer an opportunity for students to work together to create and master a piece of music to perform at the final concert. Past and present CYOAs include Sound Painting, Recycled Percussion, Silent Movie Soundtrack, Acoustic Band, Ukulele Ensemble, and Rock Band. Please see the CYOA page for more information and descriptions of each CYOA!